Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Who needs a house out in Hackensack?

I always wanted to marry someone who loved rollerblading and Billy Joel. 


  I'm sucha sucker for XM radio. I keep trying to cancel, but they offer me a tiny discount that makes me come back every time. Right now I have the Billy Joel channel going nonstop. Pete reminds me all the time how lame that is, but I don't care. I really really love Billy Joel. I always have. And it's pretty cool to listen to Billy Joel Radio because it has made me realize what a megafan I am. There are maybe 3 song that I don't know by heart. 

This station has really taken me down memory lane, and I'd like to invite you to come with me . . . Two of my favorite dates of the 90's both involved rollerblading in Provo. Okay, I know what you're thinking, I'll answer your questions up front. No, neither of these dates were with Peter, he is too cool for rollerblading, and yes, I said 90's, not 80's. One of these dates was with a cool kid who turned out to be a cool lifelong friend, Spencer. The other date was with another BYU friend, let's call him Schmon. Ah, forget it, his real name was Jon. Jon was the big man on campus. I know what you're thinking. The big man on campus was into rollerblading? And to that question I will respond, shut-up this is my story. He was fun and cute, and he had a cabin nearby that he would invite people to sometimes. Anyway, the summer after freshman year, Jon called and asked me out. I was thrilled. He picked me up and didn't have a plan, so we brainstormed, and decided to go to dinner, do rollerblading, and then go up to his cabin. Awesome! 

We got in Jon's car and started to drive. He turned on the music in his car, and what did he start to play? Billy Joel's greatest hits. He was a megafan like me. It was the funnest! We drove for an hour, blasting Billy Joel and singing at the top of our lungs. I felt the warm summer air, and that indescribable feeling of being young and feeling totally in the moment. There is nothing better. 

I know, you're thinking that this is weird, cause I am writing about a great date that I had with someone who is not Peter. Just wait. 

Jon and I got to Provo and were starving. So we decided to eat at a place that we both loved. Training Table of course. I was starving and never afraid of eating in front of a date, so I ordered a huge hamburger, a giant Dr. Pepper and cheese fries. After we ate, we strapped on the rollerblades. We went by Wills Pit Stop and headed up to Bridal Veil Falls. He was fast, and I had to work hard to keep up with him. But I really wanted to impress him so whatever. 

Okay, I think I've painted a decent picture of the evening but I'm getting sort of sick of this story so I'll just wrap it up. We finished rollerblading and headed up to his cabin. I was hoping that we would make out, but the combination of rollerblading, and cheese fries didn't sit well with me and I got a massive attack of diarrhea at the cabin. The small, poorly ventilated cabin with old unreliable plumbing. 

We didn't stay at the cabin long, and we drove straight home, with no Billy Joel playing.


1 comment:

The Watkins said...

I love that story. It's better when you tell it in person!