Saturday, September 21, 2013

Spinning

  Last month I stopped teaching a spinning class that I had been teaching every Monday for almost 10 years. I'm embarrassed to admit that I was a little emotional to give up the class. Embarrassed because I knew that I was much more attached to the class members then they were to me. The participants have cycled through over the years as people moved or their schedules changed, there were two maybe three people who had been coming to my class for the entire span of time, but mostly the faces changed. I think it was what the class represented for me that was meaningful. Looking back, I realized that I taught through two of Peter's job changes, three miscarriages, two moves, and two pregnancies. I took a four week break three times, once for a trip to Utah, and twice to have my babies. Other than that I was pretty much consistently there. Some days, I dreaded going, other days, my class was the only thing that got me out of bed in the morning. The idea that there were 40 busy people who had carved time out of their day to work out with me is pretty cool. 
  I thought you might like to hear some of the comments that I received over the years from well meaning members:

"Here's some gum. Do you always sweat this much?"

"If you play one more Justin Timberlake song, I'll have you fired."

"You might want to think about wearing a little make-up when you teach, you know, people have to look at you for an entire hour."

"Hey what do you think of the Book of Mormon Musical?" (I was asked this about 50 times)

"The first time I saw you I thought to myself, this girl does NOT look like an athlete." 

"Who do you think you are, you think you're better than everyone else?"

  Pretty encouraging right? You might wonder why I kept coming back to teach (see previous post about my unexplainably high self-esteem.) 

 On the last day that I taught, I made a playlist of my all time favorite songs that I had used for spin classes over the years. Some of them are over a decade old and they still get my heart rate up, others didn't turn out to be the timeless classics that I thought they'd be but I still love them (see first entry.) I have gone through so much music over the years that people often ask me for work out music suggestions so I thought I'd share some of my all time favorites. 


Don't Lie (The Black Eyed Peas)
Gives You Hell (The All American Rejects)
Jessie's Girl (Rick Springfield)
Queen Of Apology (The Sounds)
Somebody Told Me (The Killers)
Gold Digger (Kanye West)
Freedom! (George Michael)
Cry Me A River (Justin Timberlake)
Ain't No Rest For The Wicked (Cage the Elephant)
Numb/Encore (Jay-Z. Linkin Park)
Can't Hold Us (Mackelmore)
Under Pressure (David Bowie, Queen)
Glycerine (Bush)
So What (Pink)
Powerless (Nelly Furtado Desi Remix version)
Once In A Lifetime (The Talking Heads)
It's Time (Imagine Dragons)
Run This Town (Jay-Z Posthumus Zone)

  I generally like all kinds of music. Someone once asked Jack White what kind of music he liked to listen to and he said, "I like to listen to good music." He then went on to explain that if a song is sincerely musically good, people like it. And I think that is a really true statement. I don't care if you hate country, or rap, or metal. There are some songs within their genres that are just undeniably well written. I have tried to play just about everything over the years. There are some songs that I love but other people hate and that's okay. But when I play a great song, I can tell it's great because everyone loves it. You'd be shocked at how many people over 50 request Numb by Jay-Z. Or how many college kids ask who sang George Michael's Freedom. I'm not claiming to be an authority on music, but choosing songs has been a skill that I've worked on over the years and it has added a really cool dimension to my life.

   I have since moved to a different club so I'm still teaching, but I'll really miss my friends in Fairfax.


*Still working on my Media Diet. I can't decide if the Zombie Survival Guide was a colossal waste of time, or the most useful education I have ever received. 

No comments: