Thursday, March 7, 2013

Side Effects


  I learned two new things today. Two! First, I am a bit of a completist. Once something peaks my interest, I want to know all about it, I want to collect an example of every item in a particular field. Okay, I am fully aware of how lame the above sentence sounded. Ooooh, I just have such a thirst for knowledge! I just want to know everything about everything!  No no, it's not like that.  I freely admit that I think I'm smarter than I actually am, but I'm not saying that I'm a completist in an 'I'm a genuis' sort of way. I mean it in more of a Rain Man sort of way. Of course I don't have my underwear. I'm definitely not wearing my underwear. I get my underwear at K-mart in Cincinnati. My completist tendencies are only sparked when I am interested in something  that will make me less interesting, and that has a possibility of being a huge time suck. And usually it is food. I spent a good part of 2012 trying to be a D.C. area hamburger completist. My top five findings. 

1. Bobby's Burger Palace
2. Shake Shack
3. The Burger Joint
4. Five Guys 
5. Ray's Hell-burger

2013 is D.C. Pizza, who's with me?

  I am also working on becoming a Danny Meyer completist. That's sort of hard to do when you don't live in New York but I'm determined, and with the love and support of my family and friends, I can succeed. I am dabbling in Momofuku completism, but so far that has made me gain 4 pounds and spend 25 dollars on plugra butter in one month, so I'm wondering if I should re-think that. 

   Peter is definitely a completist but only in the areas of politics, Mormon church history and cycling. That was an outright humblebrag, and I won't try to hide it. He is the coolest nerd you'll ever meet. 

  Anyway, I started thinking about the whole completist term this morning when I was listening to a podcast movie review of Side Effects done by a Steven Soderbergh completist. I think the guy is just alright, I guess, Soderbergh I mean. But what is really cool is that they released/leaked (same thing) his Media Diet for last year. It is pretty amazing. I love the idea of recording your entire intake of media. I think it would be cool to see just what your brain has ingested and it would encourage you to make worth while choices. I also think it validates movies and TV as actual communicatory mediums. So for 2013, I am going to do the same. Record my entire media diet. I won't record a show, movie or book unless I have seen the entire thing, in which case I'll record it on the day I finish. 

  Endnote, Side Effects was good. And it made me wonder all the way home, "Could I pull off a messy hipster frizz hairstyle?" The best part of the night was when my friends and I were trying to decide between Side Effects and Zero Dark Thirty. I told the ticket seller boy that I had heard that ZDT had a surprise ending. He gave me a confused look and tried to explain that there was no surprise ending, we all know how it ends, but I just kept interrupting him with, "Don't! Don't spoil it for me! I don't know how it ends! D! D! DDD!  
  It was pretty great. 

I'm recording my 2013 Media Diet Here. I think it'd be cool if anyone wants to record theirs too so that we could compete compare. Also, I'd love any suggestions. I am totally open to seeing or reading anything. Except for Braveheart. You know how I feel about Braveheart. 

5 comments:

susan said...

I like this idea. But what about blogs, magazines, newspapers? They seem important. I want to participate, but I am embarassed to admit how much time I waste "consuming" stupid things.

Angela Jensen said...

You're totally right. If I recorded how much time I wasted reading about lame things (like how awful Beyonce's documentary is) I would probably shock myself.

Shake Shack said...

Go, Angela, go! We believe you can be a Danny Meyer completist - after all, you already have Shake Shack under your belt. Thanks for visiting us, and our team can't wait to see you again soon at the Shack!

-Brandy, Shake Shack

Nathan & Michelle Watabe said...

I am sad to say I read way less and watch way more (TV) than you. I really am a junkie, especially right now because I'm nursing a newborn. That's what got me hooked in the first place. I sit down to nurse (which only takes 10-15 minutes) and then I'm sucked into a show and end up watching the whole thing. Leaving me about an hour or two until it's time to nurse again! I see you don't watch Modern Family. It is hilarious! One of the only shows Nate and I acutally both like.

Heather said...

I'm going to have to track my media diet, but only active viewing where I actually pay attention to over 50% of it even if I'm still surfing the web. I cannot include all the passive stuff I have running in the background while I do other things. Not because I'm incredibly ashamed of the quantity and quality of my passive consumption, oh no. There just isn't enough server space in the world to contain it all.