Sunday, December 30, 2012

Merry Christmas

  The week before Christmas should be the best week ever. But it wasn't for me. In fact, most of December was pretty rough. I pulled a muscle in my neck and injured my leg. So I've been in almost constant pain. To make matters worse, much worse, I've spent the last month or so on a Russian literature kick. Don't read The Brothers Karamazov and Anna Karenina back to back, unless you want to be depressed. (The worst part is that I think the fact that I'm depressed means that I didn't really understand either book and I should probably re-read them.) I also realized that any deep or original thought that I thought was my own, has already thought of and deconstructed and metaphored by a Russian who lived over 100 years ago. I'm going to solve this problem by hanging out with people who are dumber than me-- if I can find some. See how long winded I'm getting? That's the influence of the Russians.
  So the week before Christmas, there was a day when I had hit a real low. We had just come from seeing Santa-- which I usually love. But my 11 year old humiliated me by being that kid who, in one breath, asked Santa for a laptop and an ipod touch, and an iphone, and some new ugg boots, real ones, not the fakes. She deserved to be cuffed. But I didn't cuff her, I just went home and sat in the car, depressed. I waited. In the car, in my garage, putting off the impending chores and messed around on Facebook. 

And I stumbled onto this. 




How can you not smile at that? It's really impossible. Diva, children, Fallon. What's not to like? I left the car with happy tears in my eyes, vowing to be happier and do better. I felt so great that I turned on some more Christmas music and blasted my all time favorite Christmas song, Let It Snow, the extra jazzy version by Harry Connick Jr. And I felt so great that I started dancing in the privacy of my own kitchen. Jazz hands and Fosse grapevines and all. I felt so good that I busted out a high kick. And that's when things took a turn for the worse. My injured leg and skinny jeans just couldn't keep up with my festive enthusiasm and I collapsed into a heap. And then I was right back where I started.

  This year I am going to try to not be so hyperbolic and bipolar in my thinking. I am also going to alternate my Dostoevsky and Tolstoy with a little Bravo TV, you know, to try to be a little more well rounded.

A very Happy New Year.

2 comments:

sara said...

What a fun video! I also read Anna Karenina this year, which for me was nearly back-to-back with Les Mis - the 1200-pager. I needed some good old fashioned teen werewolf lit after that.

mandorama said...

I kinda want to cuff Mariah for constantly wearing clothes that are 3 sizes too small. Hope you are on the mend, Ang! I'm impressed that through the pain (physical and Russian mental) you still managed to get your (hilarious) Christmas card out on time.