Monday, November 12, 2012

The Post Where I Talk About Toms.

I was on pinterest the other day and I saw a link to cheap Toms knock offs. Really people? You can't spring $40 for a pair of shoes for a poor kid? Hey I know they're comfy, but as Megan pointed out, people aren't buying them because they look good. I've seen enough Zhang Yimou films to know that the inspiration for the Toms design isn't exactly the Paris runway. They're commie prison shoes. You know it and I know it.
 
I bought a pair at Nordstrom a few months ago, at first I picked out and purchased the blue sparkly ones, I got about 50 feet from the store, when I realized that I was never going to pull off blue sparkly. So I walked back, and exchanged them for gray. But when I got home I realized they were too small so I went back the next day to exchange them again (along with a set of car tires I needed to return) On the way to the store, I made up a joke about Toms and was pretty excited to use it. I went to the shoe section and found someone to help me get a pair that fit. I chatted with the salesman about Toms as he rung my transaction, you know getting ready for my joke. As he handed me my receipt, I began, "Gosh I feel really bad returning these shoes, I just hate to think about somebody taking shoes back from some poor kid in Africa or something." (These are the jokes people.) My joke was lost on the clerk, he was completely un-phased, "Yeah, you know, a lot of people return their Toms and are really worried about that, but I just explain to them, 'don't worry, they don't take away a pair of shoes that they've given, they just take a pair of shoes off of the next truck.'" I can't decide if that was the stupidest response in the history of responses, or if he was telling a Tom joke that was much much funnier than my Tom joke. It was probably a combination of both.

No comments: