Monday, May 14, 2012

Happy Mother's Day

   Giving birth seems to be a common theme in my interneting (new word- bam!) lately. I'd like to share the best of and the worst of. First of all the best of. If you don't have the Bentley twins' blogs on your reader, stop everything and add them right now. I'm not kidding. Do it. Now. These two twins that I used to know married two brothers. And now one of the twins is living in India where she just gave birth to twins of her own. With a little leg work, you can find the link from Chelsea's blog to her twin's blog, where she recounts her visit to India to see her sister and remarks that the newborn twins, "Weren't as cute as I thought they'd be." Completely awesome. I hope it's okay that I'm mentioning these gals on this blog. If isn't okay, I'm sure they'll let me know and I'll edit them out. But if you have a chance, check it out.

 And now for the worst of.  I bought a National Zoo pass for the parking benefits. And all of the sudden I started getting mail with them with news of happenings at the zoo. Well I wish I hadn't. Now let me ask you. To what extent are you comfortable with your tax dollars paying for the health care of animals? My answer is; to NO extent. Although I'll admit that I might not be the best barometer for that kind of thing. Which is why this photo really outraged me.


 Above, you see a c-section being performed on a deer. Picture me in my best Amy Poehler voice. Really? This is so disturbing on so many levels. First of all, as I write, I'm in the process of getting quotes from local bow-hunters (yes, it's a real profession) to help me control the deer population on my property. Do we really need to help them give birth? And second. If you've never had the pleasure of being sliced open c-section style, well, it looks exactly like this. Exactly. Only I don't think I received the same level of high quality medical care that the deer is getting in the pic, and I know that Chelsea didn't get it in India. The look of concern on the faces of the entire team. Nope never saw that. I did however hear my doctor say, "Here's Jonah coming out of the whale!" As he pulled baby Jonah from my uterus. He was quite tickled with his cleverness.
 
   I hope all you women had a great Mother's day. Mine was great. Really, everyone was nice to me. And during the third hour of church, all of the women were treated to dessert, prepared by the men. The highlight of my day was while I was eating, the self-called ward historian came by and asked if she could take a picture of my friends and I. I took advantage of the opportunity by covering the entire row of my top teeth in chewed up brownies and giving the biggest smile I could. It's been my favorite prank since I was 15. I think it's pretty funny. At least it was pretty funny when I was 15 and the reaction was a bunch of teens saying, "Oh Gross! Come on Scruggs!" But when the reaction is just the sweet the stone faced historian looking down at the image on her camera and saying quietly, "Thanks." as she walks away, because she's too nice to show her disgust. Well, then, it's down right hysterical. I'm going to have to start doing that more often.

1 comment:

Momma Nielson said...

What the heck? Really? A C-section for a freaking deer? Meanwhile I am praying for the survival of your intrepid friend in India.