Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Good In Bread

I'm starting a new series here called Good In Bread so that I can document my bread baking journey. My latest challenge is French croissants. This is the most difficult thing I've ever made. I've probably made 10 batches and haven't yet been completely satisfied. I had to cut back to making them once a week because my kids were starting to complain about eating so many croissants. But they also complain about their diamond shoes being too tight so I decided to ignore them and cut back because the ingredients were breaking the bank. Anyway, this is the closest I've come to a good croissant.
Not as airy as I'd prefer, but see the honeycomb texture starting to form.

I thought I'd take step by step pictures, but I only got photos of like steps 6 and 7 before I realized that time is not your friend when you're rolling out croissants. But if you can't tell, this is pretty.

The good news is that they taste incredible every time. Exactly as if you are in France. The trick is to use European butter and yeast. Now I just need to work on my technique to get the texture I want. The sort of good news is that I made several batches in before I stepped on a scale. So now I need to take a little break from my croissant making, but I'll be back. Oh yes, I'll be back.


* I've been bouncing back and forth between the two recipes below. The first one tastes better but the dough is a bit tough to handle.


And Jeffery Hamelman's Recipe. I guess he's a big deal in the pastry world.

* I also realized how lame it was of me to say, "bread baking journey." Sorry guys.

5 comments:

sara said...

Beautiful! That's something I've never attempted. I *did* work at Paradise Bakery once upon a time and I *baked* croissants but they were already prepped for me, so it doesn't count.

Also, two blog posts in a row from Ang? Exciting!

susan said...

Seth and I will continue to be your guinea pigs when you resume croissant baking. :)

Sarah d' said...

Hu-hem. If you are going to pretend to post tutorials on your blog, then you are required by blog law to post the recipe. I'll be back and it had better be here. That is all.

Elliot said...

Dang! Those look almost as good as Costco's!

The McArthur Family said...

They look amazing, and, yes, they taste amazing, too.