Thursday, March 10, 2011

Vegas.

  On a plane headed to Las Vegas. I keep thinking about the last time I was here, over ten years ago. Funny that I grew up so close to Vegas and never really went there. Maybe it was because my mom always said it was an evil place, she even nick named it 'sin city' she was always clever like that. 

   So it was probably 2000. We were newly weds and went down with some other newly wed friends of ours, Betsy and Brian. We actually slept in St. George. Before we made the 90 minute drive to 'sin city,' the boys decided to practice their card skills. We probably spent 2 hours playing 21, the whole time Pete and Brian sang Luck Be A Lady Tonight. And not the swanky Sinatra version, it was more like the sped up Guys And Dolls reprise, "luck be a lady tonight, luck if you've evah been a lady be a lady, luck be a lady tonight" sang really really fast, just those lyrics over and over until Betsy gently and delicately put the kibosh on the singing.
  
  Once we got there, it was a blast. So much to do and see. So many architecturally unsound buildings to go to the top of. We stopped by Treasure Island to watch the show--you know, the one with pirates and ships and real water? After the show, this red head pirate with short cut-off jeans comes up to me and says. "Angela? Is that you?"

"Um yeah, I'm Angela."

"It's me! Vince! You know, from Mrs. Reganthal's fourth grade class."

"Wow, hi."

"This is so crazy! I can't believe you're here!"

Of all the weird things I saw in Vegas that night, seeing Vince was the weirdest. On the way back to our condo, my voice was hoarse from screaming and laughing and staying up too late. That was the night I discovered that I do and awesome Britney impersonation. One that has served me well over the years. 
  
  I made one trip after that to run a half marathon, but that was the trip that I discovered that I have what's called BIIBS or Buffet Induced Irritable Bowel Syndrome so I'd sorta like to forget about that trip. 

2 comments:

camilla said...

eat some steak and shrimp and soak in the sun for me.

Betsy Haslam said...

Those were the days, huh? I had forgotten about the guys practicing. What a hoot. Good times. Good times. Love and miss you dearly.