Thursday, January 6, 2011

Holiday Party

   I am in between my only two holiday parties of the season. I know, not normal to be saying that on January 6th, but I said holiday, not Christmas, so quit judging. Anyway, I'm still sort of haunted by the first party. It was Pete's firm's Christmas party. It was a formal dinner. Tricky. For me at least, I'm a stay-at-home-mom so when I go to formal work dinners, I want to look awesome without sending a message that I got totally dolled up for my fancy night out because I don't get out of the house much. It's tough, real tough. 
 Anyway, We're sitting at dinner, and I'm on my best behavior ya know? Tryna act all cool. If you know me, you might think this comes naturally for me, it doesn't. Shocking. There were 4 couples at our table and we were chatting, I asked this one attorney's wife who I had just met, what she did. And she says, "I'm the head of marketing for KT Tape." 
  "Oh? What does the company do?" I ask, praying silently that the whole table doesn't burst out laughing because I've never heard of KT Tape. 
 "It's okay, we're a small company." Then she explains that it's a medical elastic tape that's used to treat sports injuries. I guess it's been around for a long time but their company decided to make it a product that anyone could buy, not just doctors. Then the table launches into a sophisticated discussion about what a great idea that is. There are so many medical products that you don't have to be a genius to know how to use, but for some reason they don't sell them over the counter, only doctors and hospitals have access to them. 
  "Yeah yeah," I chime in, "The last time I was at the hospital, I was like all, 'Can I puh-lease have like 5 extra pairs of those gauze underwear? I love that stuff!'" 

You guessed it. 

  The table goes silent and everyone stares at me, even the other two moms who knew exactly what I was talking about suddenly pretend like they had never heard of amazing hospital gauze underwear. (Thanks a lot girls for hanging me out to dry.) The KT Tape wife looks at me, face smiling but inside she was wondering who's this zoo animal (wearing a smokin' hot black dress) ? 

"I don't really understand." was the last thing she said to me the entire night. 

Well, I tried. So much for my big night in the city. At least them mini lemon pies was good. Coulda' eaten' 10 a those suckers.

  This Saturday, I am going to my work party. The group fitness post holiday party. I think Pete's a bit nervous because spouses aren't invited and I think that when he hears group fitness, he's picturing ripped straight personal trainers with German accents. In reality, could this crowd be any more the opposite? Only the secret iphone pics will tell. Stay tuned . . . 

9 comments:

sara said...

You hit this one outta the park; fantastic.

Golduck said...

good post!

Nicole said...

you're fabulous

Sarah d' said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sarah d' said...

I'm so relieved to see that I'm not the only one whose favorite part of having a baby is the sassy, stretchy, wünder-under-magic (the actual baby is a close second). I was just fantasizing about them the other day, thinking, "Can I really wait four more months to hold them in my arms and then feel their perfectly constrictive comfort?" Trust me, if I had been at your table, we would have talked for HOURS and converted them all (even the menfolk)!

(Sorry. I deleted the first version because there was a typ-o and I am a super-nerd and had to fix it.)

MandoRama said...

Can't believe those bitches didn't back you up. Don't they know that moms must stick together? Especially when discussing any item that makes post-delivery a bit easier. Long live disposable gauze undies!

The Galan Family said...

So funny! I might have argued the mesh underwear thing with you though. I got smart with this last baby and brought my own package of DEPENDS to the hospital. Seriously..best thing I've ever done for myself. No more pulling up mesh underwear with an icepack between your legs! I could go on and on but that's a conversation for another time. Sounds like you really made a great impression! :)

Nathan & Michelle Watabe said...

I must say not all hospital's mesh panties are created equal. My first were by far the best. So thank goodness I saved myself 2 pairs that I've taken to the other 2 hospitals (because I heard that some hosiptals are stingy with them -- which I also found to be true). They have made it through the washing machine several times and are just as stretchy and forgiving as ever. Thank goodness because at the last hospital they were awful. Maybe the other moms at the table hadn't ever experienced the magnificence of the good ones. Or maybe the memories were overshadowed by the awfulness of the whole healing down there situation. Either way they still could have thrown you a lifeline.

I want them to sell the ear checkers over the counter. Can't we all learn to diagnose our kid's ear infections?

Team Gilmore said...

I just laughed so hard through this post I still have tears streaming down my face. I read your blogs to Nate sometimes and we both just crack up - Ang, you have a true and beautiful gift and I freakin' love you. Keep it up - PLEASE!!!