Monday, August 9, 2010

Confessions In The Locker Room




I'm going to make a general statement, try to stay with me. When an average decent person receives poor treatment in any given situation, they generally only deserve it about 20 percent of the time.
Okay? 
Now think about the undeserved poor treatment you receive in your life. You know, at the DMV or talking to an airline worker. It usually happens because someone has had a bad day, is stuck in a bad job, or lives in a crappy life and they just sort of take it out on you. Can we agree?

Okay now let's assume that I am an average decent person. I mean, I may be a bit better looking than you, but that's beside the point, not even worth mentioning really. For argument's sake, we're both average decent people. But here's the thing, when I am treated poorly, and I don't deserve it, it is almost never because of a bad day, job or life. It is usually because the perp has decided to hate me. Think about it. Have you ever had someone that has decided that they hate you? For no reason. No reason. Be honest. I'm guessing the answer is no. It happens to me all the time. I've been working at the same gym for almost 6 years and this woman hate hates me.
                    
  She's actually a good person I think. Been there forever on the hospitality staff. She sits there and folds towels. She knows everyone's name, but if she doesn't know your name she'll call you 'baby' or 'honey child' (she'll call you that, not me.) And she'll tell you that Jesus loves you. And half the time you see her, she'll be singing gospel songs. 

But she hates me. I swear I didn't do anything. This one time I wanted to find out how the gym's tanning beds work. I was really nervous about it because I had never ever been tanning before and I didn't know what to do or how I was supposed to pay for it or get someone to unlock the door to the tanning room. I was really embarrassed to ask about it but I mustered up the courage and asked this woman how it all worked. I got halfway through my question when she started yelling at me. Saying, that I was stupid because I didn't know that they got rid of the tanning beds and I shouldn't be using them anyway because tanning is bad for you. I just sort of put my head down and walked my red face away. I've still never been tanning. 

That was the last time I had a conversation with her, now when she sees me, she just stops what she's doing and glares at me. Last week she was in the middle of belting out "Fully Committed," and she stopped and looked at me and just shook her head back and forth. It's really embarrassing. It makes me wonder if I'm not such a decent person after all, maybe she has that Shallow Hal gift and can see into my soul. Which brings me to my next order of business.  Check out what this woman was doing in the locker room this morning. 
Eating oatmeal out of a pot with a wooden spoon. And yes, that is a woman. She has a black belt so I was really careful to not get caught taking a picture of her. 


8 comments:

Stacey said...

I saw that same "woman" frosting a German chocolate cake in the locker room a few weeks ago!!!

Talai said...

I usually just find amusement in everything you write and then tell Aaron later without ever commenting. But, I could not resist this time because people decide to hate me all the time. I'm not kidding. Sometimes I think it has something to do with having blond hair that is blaringly fake, but then I wonder if that is just crazy to think like that. I have been called racist on more then one occasion and I don't even know what I did to deserve it. On two of these occasions I ran away from the person becuase I was scared out of my mind and they ran after me yelling "Racist!" I could go on forever. It's a problem in my life.

Golduck said...

Stop the press.

alexandra said...

Yeah, you're stuck between a rock and a hard place there. If you're willing to provide your own towels, you could start glaring back at her.

Lara said...

My mom's train of thought is that when people are consistently rude to an otherwise nice person, it's for one of two reasons:

1. They're jealous of you.
2. They hate Mormons.

Maybe in this case, it's for both reasons.

Nicole said...

I can't believe I'm saying this but I actually miss swim team. Because then I could hang out with you at 7:45 in the morning and discuss this post with you in between keeping Caroline out of the deep end and/or other people's snacks. How awful (and how admirable that you can laugh about it).

Anonymous said...

I say that the next time this person glares at you or is rude, walk directly up to them and say, "Hi, my name is _______ and I was wondering if I have done something to offend you." What's the worst thing that could happen - besides her screaming at you. If she does that, then it gives you an reason to report her to the manager. But, she will probably be so taken aback, she won't have anything to say and perhaps you can make a new friend.

camilla said...

I can teach you the ways of tanning