Thursday, June 24, 2010

Mecka Lecka Hi Mecka Heiney Ho

I figured out why I am the way I am.
A childhood full of watching Pee Wee's Playhouse.



If you're too young to have ever seen Pee Wee's Playhouse. Here's an 8 minute window into my soul.


A couple of years back I bought the first season on DVD for my dad as a sort of Christmas joke. I found one of the DVD's the other day and put it in the car for the kids so they could watch TV instead of fighting over the uncrossable imaginary line.

Of course they loved it. They're mine.

But have you ever re-watched a show as an adult that you used to love when you were a kid? I mean, who is this guy? Who are these writers? And is that frikin' Lawrence Fishburn as Cowboy Curtis?

The show is full of what better parents than I like to call, "inappropriate behavior." There are no real themes or messages. The female characters (Miss Yvanne and the COWntess) are an affront to all women. And the claymation budget (insert low whistle.)

And you know what I figured out? Kids are smart. They know nonsense when they see it. They recognize the ridiculous and realize that they shouldn't take any of it too seriously. They want to learn important messages from real people.

Jonah! Quit messing with my giant underpants!

2 comments:

camilla said...

right after grandma moved out of our house I found a pair of her giant underpants I was so glad i had watched Pee Wees Play House so I could make them into a nice hammock. then I put them on dallins pillow.

Eliza said...

ummm...I LOVED Pee Wee's Playhouse as a kid. I still enjoy watching Pee Wee's Big Adventure as an adult, since it's not quite as psychadelic but still appeals to the ridiculous side of my sense of humor.