Tuesday, June 1, 2010

June 1st.

Today is my anniversary. I'm trying to think about ways to talk about my my marriage, my husband and my anniversary on this silly little blog of mine. But I'm having a hard time doing it. You know, I started this blog as sort of a knee jerk reaction to all of the blogs that I waste time reading. Syrupy blogs that document perfect families, perfect marriages and perfect children who crap rainbows. (Let me be the first to tell you that my kids definitely don't crap rainbows. In fact, sometimes they don't even bother to lift up the LID to the toilet when they go in the bathroom to eliminate something other than rainbows.)
"I'm going to be authentic!" I thought, "I'll show those lollipop bloggers that I'm better than than them by being real!" The more I blogged, I realized that it was silly of me to get down on those blogs. Because first of all, I think that most of these people aren't faking, they really are better than me. And second, is it really so bad to try to make your life look so great? Why would anyone blog about all bad things? So I guess this blog has been my attempt to blog about my real life. The problem is that I have a hard time blogging about my real life without making a joke of it. Because I know that mainly people read so that they can get a good laugh. And if I don't laugh at life's little failures and inconsequential and disappointments, I'll never be able to get through the real failures and disappointments.
So if I haven't made it clear, I don't think life is a joke. I think life is hard. Really hard. But it's also good. Really good. Maybe too good to blog about on the Internet so everyone can read. And I married someone good. And I'm afraid that if I tell you how great he really is, my words will by cheapened by all the other people who want to go on and on and on about how great their spouse is but don't mean it or don't know what a great husband is the way I do.
Instead I'll do what I usually do, and remember my wedding day. It was great. Our reception was outside and there was this two foot wide rectangular fish pond that went around the garden. When we went to one corner of the fish pond to cut the cake, my brand new father-in-law tried to straddle the pond to get a good shot of the cake cutting. You can guess, what happened. He slipped and totally fell into the pond. Really hurt his back. Totally ruined his tux. Didn't get a good shot of the cake. It was awesome.

4 comments:

sara said...

Fabulous post.

I wish I had a story like that from my wedding; the best I've got was that our photographer had recently broken his leg and hobbled around on crutches snapping photos, all strung out on oxycontin the whole time. Many of the pictures reflect that.

Hey wait a minute, I was AT your reception; how did I miss the pond incident? Must've been too busy ogling at the Who's Who of SLC in attendance and making mental notes of their choices of cars & bumper stickers (for real).

I'm glad we could be there; it was awesome! Happy anniversary.

Momma Nielson said...

This post is why I keep coming back--very original and funny but at the same time sincere. My blog just shows my perfect family and their rainbow poop. If people only knew...

alexandra said...

Oh, we're faking all right! I've had the same issue. I almost want to start a "Small Plates of Alex" blog for all of my rants and emotional breakdowns and keep our family blog all nice and syrupy. But then again, if I did that, no one would read the family blog because it would be WAY too boring, and they wouldn't read the first blog because they wouldn't know about it (which is, I guess, why they call those things "journals.")

Hijacker said...

My blog was originally intended to be something to remove the image of me being only a joker.

Then I realise, I'm not all that good at be serious as I wrote more and more.

Blogging helps us all grow