Wednesday, March 31, 2010

To the Zoo

You know what? The National Zoo is lame. I'd choose the Reston Zoo over the National Zoo any day. At least the Reston Zoo is crazy and unpredictable.

Let me back up a bit. Shea's class took a field trip to the Zoo and needed chaperones. I volunteered because I miss those school bus riding days and Shea has a major case of middle child syndrome. So we get on the bus and the mom across from me says, "The girl, Tazreba sitting behind you threw up on the last field trip." Thanks A-LOT lady.

We get off the bus (a vomit free ride I might add) and the teacher assigns two or three kids to each adult. Pretty good ratio right? Welcome to Fairfax County suckas. Then the teacher passes out a booklet to each chaperone. The booklet contains a map of the Zoo and like 5 pages worth of scavanger hunt type stuff for us to search for while we are there. I get my assigned kids and as we are separating, I hear someone ask, "Miss D who is in your group?" Miss D says, "I am in a group with Ms. H and Ms. R."

Really?

No kids in your group teacher?

While I am chasing kids and watching monkeys look for ticks on each other, you are sooo leaving the Zoo to try the Ethiopian place in Dupont. I got your number Miss D.

Uh, I'll tell you one thing, I'm not doing this dumb scavenger hunt book.

Really though, we had fun. I walked around with Reweda and Shea and Janine. Reweda liked pointing out all of the poop related things in the zoo. Every class has one, and I got her. It's amazing how many animals I saw eating their own poop thanks to Reweda's keen observation.

I had my iphone ready to take some great pics. You'll be disappointed in my photo-observations, but here's what I've got.


Here's our little group. This picture was taken in front of the hairless mole-rat exhibit. Ever seen a hairless mole-rat? They are totally sick. Little bald, well, mole rats. And I was pointing out details to the kids and without thinking, these words came out of my mouth.

"Hey girls look over here, this little guy is trying to climb on top of that little guy, let's watch what they are going to do." As soon as I said it, I wished I could take it back. Not quite ready to teach Shea about the birds and the bees.

Okay this was weird. A Zoo lady came in to give this huge snake some water.
Then she left. And didn't close the door. And she was gone for a long time.

My final observation. Why are we trying to help species are endangered? Particularly the species that want to kill humans. I don't get it. No one is going to help preserve us, why are we saving them? I mean, does anyone have a problem with the fact that this animal is an endangered species?
Hey guys, it's called evolution. And it means we're winning.


By the time one o'clock hit. I was done. Here is a pic of our bus ride home and I felt like the girl on the right, not the girl on the left.




5 comments:

alexandra said...

Ang, so glad you're back to doing titles. I was getting worried.

And yeah, the National Zoo sucks. What sucks even more about that particular zoo is that I always park at the bottom (makes sense to have a downhill trot to get back to the car when the kids are falling apart, right?) and I never make it past the bottom third of the zoo which is the uber-boring part.

You'd think I would learn, but now that my last will be entering KG next year, I don't ever think I'll have to go to a zoo again because there are plenty of sucker moms like you that will chaperone my poop-obsessed little dears on their field trips. Thanks!

Betsy Haslam said...

I've only been to the National Zoo once and I do remember some hills but it can't be worse than Hogle. Those hills are such a pain- especially the hill back up to the buses (betcha haven't even been up it). And kudos to the teacher for assigning out all the kids. I usually assign my assistant and myself the "hard" kids and every year I ask myself why.

小研 said...

Do not delete this article, there is ad-supported access to 500 U.S. dollars reward, activity time to 2010/12/31 the end of this period we will have staff members from time to time to visit, hope you have the opportunity to receive prizes!

關鍵字行銷 網路行銷 軟體行銷 搬家 活水機 濾水器 淨水器 1069 GUCCI GUCCI包 GUCCI包包 LV包 LV LV包包 除腳臭 自慰器 情趣用品 情趣商品 跳蛋 按摩棒 高雄監視器 監視器 監視器材 監視攝影 網路創業 當鋪 當舖 流當品 特賣會 團體服 免費廣告 佛具 加盟 臭臭鍋 加盟 火鍋 期貨 婚紗 情趣用品 情趣 女人徵信 女人徵信 女人徵信 女人徵信 女人徵信 減肥 豐胸 整形 電波拉皮 雷射溶脂 飛梭雷射 私密處保養 seo 104 104論壇 seo 行銷軟體 免費網路創業 網路賺錢

Anonymous said...

Gucci
Replica GUCCI SHOES
Replica GUCCI handbags
wholesale gucci shoes
cheap Gucci shoes
cheap Gucci handbags
discount gucci shoes
Gucci shop
Gucci bags
Gucci shoes
Gucci ON sale
Gucci Belts
Gucci small accessories
Gucci hats & scarves
Gucci wallets
Gucci Handbags
women Gucci shoes
Men Gucci shoes

Anonymous said...

Gucci
Replica GUCCI SHOES
Replica GUCCI handbags
wholesale gucci shoes
cheap Gucci shoes
cheap Gucci handbags
discount gucci shoes
Gucci shop
Gucci bags
Gucci shoes
Gucci ON sale
Gucci Belts
Gucci small accessories
Gucci hats & scarves
Gucci wallets
Gucci Handbags
women Gucci shoes
Men Gucci shoes