Wednesday, January 13, 2010

SOS-- Peter's Out of Town

Pete's in Mississippi this week and that means I don't feel like cooking. After a couple of nights of chicken nuggets I wanted to do something different. So I started thinking back to when I was a kid. I wondered if there were ever nights when my mom didn't feel like cooking. My dad was gone a lot too.
Well, we had fish sticks and tater tots.
Mac and Cheese.
hmmm, what else.
Oh yeah tuna on toast.
Sooo cheap and easy.
I asked my mom for the recipe because I wanted to try it out.
If you see this recipe on every cooking blog tomorrow, just remember that you saw it here first.


melt 4 T of butter
add 4 T of flour
mix in 2 cups of milk
add a can of tuna
pour over a slice of toast

The kids loved it and it must have cost like less than $2 to make, which is good because I just found out I will spend $4000 at the dentist tomorrow.

Yup, I am the mom with 5 kids who makes tuna on toast and needs serious dental work.

I remember once when I was little, we were eating tuna on toast and my dad unexpectedly walked through the door at dinner time. My mom sheepishly served him a plate. He looked at and said, "What is this?"

"Tuna on Toast!" we all shouted.

I don't remember what he said, but after that we all called it SOS.

7 comments:

Bud said...

I'm sure you are misremembering. I would never have said anything unkind about your mother's cooking. And, I doubt I would have confused the cacophemism for creamed beef on toast with the delightful nickname which must attach to creamed tuna on toast.

See the following link for the official definition of SOS: http://www.seabeecook.com/cookery/cooking/cooking_sos.htm

Elliot said...

Don't forget another classic-- weenie boats! these meals are served with a side of mixed veggies, the frozen veggies that included green beans, wavy cut carrot discs and lima beans. But these classics were only served weeknights, we ordered pizza on the weekends.

Pugsley said...

A childhood classic--except my mom broke the toast into little pieces (is that sacrilegious?) and added a can of peas to the sauce. I actually craved this once when I was pregnant.

alexandra said...

Yeah, Jeff likes SOS too, though I don't think his version incorporates tuna, or peanut butter. Of course, I don't know what he makes the kids eat in my brief absences.

Katherine said...

Ahh, just this week I made this very same dinner (as Trevor was gone too.) I made it just a bit classier than the creamed tuna and went with creamed chicken. Yes, still just as deliciously canned and chunky, yet different. And I love to eat it over rice, an even CHEAPER way to eat this meal. With rice, the cost has to drop by at least 50 cents! Downside of rice: no longer SOS, as the shingle has been replaced. :)

Camilla said...

I tried to make that for jordan awhile but got it wrong. I'm glad you got the recipe now I can do it right.

The Galan Family said...

We totally ate that! Except we called it Creamed Tuna on Toast. Half of us liked it and the other half choked it down crying and gagging. We also broke our toast into pieces. So funny! Thanks for the memory!