Tuesday, November 10, 2009

That's What I Get

I arrived with dinner at the home of a family in need 20 minutes after I said I would . When I rang the doorbell, no one answered. I looked through the window and saw a spotless empty house. Right away with my flawed and judgemental thinking, I began to see this scenario in my head of what had happened. The careless husband finds himself home with 4 kids and his wife away. When dinner doesn't arrive right when it's supposed to, he takes the kids our for burgers. Meanwhile, I am two weeks from my due date. My husband is out of town, and I have 5 hungry kids in the car.

Not sure what to do, I take my food back to the car, nearly tripping over a foiled plate of brownies that someone has already left on the steps. I got back in the car and stopped at this family's neighbor's house that I knew to see if they had a cell number or something. I knocked on the door and felt even more mad about having to bug another family. This mom of seven looked frazzled but happily gave me a spare key to their house and told me just to put the food inside. "Oh, and I left some treats on their doorstep, would you put those in the house too?"
So that's where the brownies for this 'needy family' came from. Sheesh. I go back to the house, let my self in and put the food on the counter. At this point I'm starving and already grumpy so I steal a brownie from the plate of treats that the neighbor left. None will be the wiser-- that's what I always say. Besides, I so deserve this. I eat the brownie as fast as I can and head to the car.

As I stop back by the neighbor's house to return the spare key, she is waiting outside for me so I gulp the last mouthful of brownie down and give her a big smile. She smiles back and hands me two huge plates of goodies to bring home and enjoy. I give her the spare key and we chit chat for a few minutes before I head home.
I'm only home about 5 minutes before I realize what a jerk my brain is. There is a message on my answering machine from the husband. He apologetically explains that he is stuck in traffic, the baby is sick, and he is frantically trying to track down my cell but can't find it and feels terrible. Seriously, how lame am I? I head to the bathroom and as I look in the mirror, I see karma all over my face and teeth. In the form of brownie crumbs.

There are only two people who know how lame I am; myself, and the neighbor lady who I'm pretty sure knows that I stole one of the brownies. Believe me it was pretty obvious. Oh, and Peter knows how lame I am too but he's stuckity stuck stuck.

3 comments:

Camilla said...

I'm pretty sure things like that happen to everyone, well at least I like to pretend they to because they happen to me everyday.

Lara said...

You have nothing to be ashamed of, you totally deserved that brownie.

alexandra said...

Well, I guess a few more people know now.

And don't feel too badly. We all do that. I just spent the last week working myself up over the fact that one of my friends hadn't RSVP'd whether their daughter could come to Ana's birthday party (which is tomorrow). I evited, called, and emailed but with no response whatsoever. I'd pretty much decided that my friend had written me off, started thinking the world was coming to an end, blah, blah, blah.

Yesterday she left a post on her blog that they'd been on vacation all week and she'd taken a cyber break.

She called that night and talked to Jeff. Our families are going to get together over the holidays.

So you're not the only one who let's her mind go amuck. It gets even the "best" of us.

We're women. That's what we do.

And Lara's right. You did deserve that brownie.