Monday, August 31, 2009

Tai Pan



I'm afraid that the blog entries of my vacation (notice I make a point to never never use the word vacay) will prove to be a huge disappointment. I usually spend at least an entire day in SLC running errands. The Costcos are better and the dentists are American. With a little extra free time I decided to sneak in to Tai Pan and see what all the fuss was about. I knew it was going to be good when I parked next to this mom. A potential bestie.




So skeptically, I went in. And you know what? I hate to admit it, but that place is awesome. I can totally see why you guys are living way outside your means. Great store. Never been there? Picture a Daybreak model home on an acid trip, and I mean that in a good way, and that's Tai Pan.



In about 20 minutes, I had blown my allowance on a bird cage and two paper pumpkins. There is something magical about the store. I don't know if it was the smell, or the strategically placed silk flowers, but I had almost convinced myself to buy a distressed wooden sign with the phrase painted on it: "Find Joy In Your Journey" when Camilla slapped me across the face and told me to pull myself together.

4 comments:

MandoRama said...

Tai Pan overwhelms me, as does the mom running errands with her baby in platform heels. I gotta ask: How'd you get your loot back home? Extra suitcase?

The Galan Family said...

Love all your iphone pics. I wish I could capture the true essence of Utah the way you do.

Megan Healey Taylor said...

I know an American dentist... :)

Janelle said...

Tai Pan? Where have you been all my life! Of course, what I really want is a "find joy IN your journey" sign, so I guess I would still be left empty-handed. It's all in the emphasis. On a more serious note, I just got back from Utah and want to know what the heck is the deal with Utah mom's and true religion jeans? Or inch wide stripes in their hair?