Monday, August 17, 2009

Full Service Awesome



An ill fated road trip left my 4 month old car with 5 wads of chewed up gum ground into the carpet. Surprisingly enough, I don't think that the chewing or the spitting of the gum was the fault of my children. But as far as the grounding of the gum into the carpet, well, I think we all share a little of the blame for that. I tried for all of 5 minutes to scrape the gum out of the car before I came to a crossroads. I could either do it myself and pay for it mentally and physically, or I could just hire someone to do it and just pay for it.

I may regret blogging about this place because the full service car wash is the best kept secret in Vienna. They will clean and detail your car better than any dealership or Foothill SLC car wash can ever dream to do. Here is the catch though, they really don't want to do it. I mean they really really hate to detail cars.

Here is my exact conversation with them, I pulled my car up to the queue.

Me: Hey can I get my car detailed and carpets shampooed today?

Car Wash Guy: (With a Latino accent) Uh, I don know. It might rain today.

Me: I don't care, I mostly just want the interior done.

Car Wash Guy: Uh, I don know, eez very expensive.

Me: That's ok, I've had you do it before, it's worth the price.

Car Wash Guy: Uh I don know, it take a lon tieem, you migh hav to leeve yir car for 4 hour.

Me: That's ok, I live close to here.

Car Wash Guy: Uh, I don know, my frien eez sick today

He motions to a Mexican leaning against the wall wearing a baseball cap and a hoodie and holding a cup of coffee. I wave to the guy and he gives me a wide grin and raises his cup in the air in reply.

Me: Please, my car is really dirty.

I give him a flirty smile which is totally negated by the fact that I am 100% average looking and drive a minivan. But it seems to do the trick and he sympathetically agrees to do it.

Now with most businesses, if an employee doesn't want to do something but is forced to do it anyway, they will do a really crappy job so that they will never have to do it again. Not at the Full Service Car Wash. When my car was done, it was in better condition than when I bought it. And I bought the car with 12 miles on it. And, they charged me 10 dollars less than they charged me last time I had it detailed, which was 25 dollars less than the time before that!

Now, I realize it's kinda demeaning to take a picture of a guy who is washing your wheels. But I have been practicing taking pictures with my phone on the sly. I make it look like I am texting but I am really snapping away. I need all the practice I can get because I am headed to the motherland next week and I want to get me at least 10 good pics of 40 year old moms with blond hair, skinny jeans, stilettos and some kind of tight pink shirt with a skeleton or something cool on it. I'll definitely be spending more time than I want to at the Gateway and the South Valley Lifetime.

3 comments:

Betsy Haslam said...

I love you Ang and am so happy you are coming to Zion. Let's get together when you are here.

alexandra said...

You just made my day, and it's only 8:22 a.m. You're the best.

You want to borrow my skinny jeans, stilettos, and hot pink "I love my husband, but my neck belongs to EDWARD!" shirt for your trip back to the the motherland? Much easier to snap those subversive pics if you don't stick out like a sore thumb. It'll be a serious sacrifice for me, but it's one I'm willing to make.

MandoRama said...

You hit the Motherland nail on the head. I was chasing P around the Natural History Museum last week and crossed paths with an entire flock of Stiletto Moms. Be happy that you DON'T fit into that group - ridiculous. (P.S.- Matt's college friends live in Sterling, I'm totally gonna tell them about your secret car wash)