Tuesday, July 28, 2009

That Guy

There are two types of people in the world.

I love saying that, I can make up all sorts of categories.

There are people who like to eat that circus peanut candy. And then there are normal people.

There are people who love to start blog posts with the words, "So" or "OK" when they are about to tell a story. And there are people who know how to read and write.

Here's what I want to talk about though. There are people who are memorable (and I'm not talking about like really really memorable, I am just saying that if you meet them once, you will remember the next time you see them) and there are people who aren't.

I wish I was one of those lucky memorable people. Thanks to this couple, I am reminded about once a week that I am totally and utterly forgettable.

And as a forgettable person, let me tell you that there is nothing more annoying than meeting someone for the second or third or fourth time. Especially when it is someone who is bubbly and energetic and a self proclaimed "people person." Having them look at you with wide blank eyes and a formal closed lipped smile (the way you look at a child) while you explain that you have met before- I hate that.



They used to live in my neighborhood. I met her at the tot lot (that's a playground for all you Westerners) like five times.

Then they put their house on the market. I went through their open house (met them again of course) Walking through their house, I thought to myself that maybe they might forget me, but I would never forget who they were, because they chose to frame a nude photo of the husband and put it up in the bathroom.

I really see them everywhere. The store, carnivals, the mall, oh and they joined my gym.

I am not a friendly person but I am a glutton for punishment so I say hi every time. We go through this cycle, for a while they just give me this weird look. Then they finally stop after I say hi and say, "Do I know you?" I explain that we used to live in the same neighborhood and bla bla bla. Then I graduate to seeing them and having them say, "Hey, I know you from somewhere-- wait don't tell me." And that's as far as we get, the next time I see them and say hi, they go back to the weird look. Today, at Costco is one of those times.

It's not like we just say hi every third time either, I know like everything about them. They met at a bar, they have two kids, they are both Realtors (hence the midday midweek post workout price club trip.) But every meeting is the same.

Now that I write this, I think that it might be them not me that is forgettable, it is them that is off. At least that is what I am going to tell myself because you know who I just thought of that always remembers me? My parents. And Orrin Hatch. Every time. And he is old. And he has met like a ton of people. But every time he sees me, he puts his arm around me and kisses me on the cheek and says, "Hiya sweetie." So there.

5 comments:

Megan Healey Taylor said...

I really think our whole ward was at Costco today. Wow.

Wish I remembered seeing you... ;)

Mema of 5 said...

I wasn't at Costco today but I do have the distinction of being kissed ON THE LIPS by Orrin Hatch. And, if it makes you feel any better, despite the "kiss", Orrin NEVER remembers who I am until Elaine reminds him.

Ashby said...

My favorite part of that post was the fact that you snapped a picture of The Forgettables with your phone.

My second favorite was you calling Costco "Price Club". I've called it that for YEARS and I always get strange looks. Sorry people, it was Price club before it was ever Costco.

Next time give them a dose of their own uppity realtor medicine. And then say, "Oh yeah, you're the ones with the nude photos in your bathroom!"

Priceless.

alexandra said...

SOOOOO, I was going to leave some cheeky comment about the nude photo, but Ashby beat me to the punch.

Joseph said...

Wait, I thought I was the only one Orrin calls sweetie... he's such a player.

This is Carrie's husband, by the way. Your posts totally make me laugh. I originally came here so I could find the Conan clips you posted but I've been sucked by a few entries so far.

After reading this post, I know what I'm asking for on my birthday this year -- my own nude photo shoot! I can't wait.