Friday, June 26, 2009

Don't Stop Till you Get Enough

I've been thinking about the idea of celebrity for a while now. I guess it's been ever since Peter asked me if I thought Oprah was a good person. Saint Oprah you mean? Actually, yes I think that she really is a good person. The problem is that she is fully 100% aware of her goodness. There is nothing worse than a celebrity who know exactly how good and smart they are. There's got to be some Hindu principle that describes what I am talking about. That as soon as you come to a full realization of just how incredible you are, you have lost something. You have taken a step backwards that will be impossible to recover from.

This morning after two major celebrity deaths yesterday, and after reading this great NRO article I am even more nauseated over the idea of fame.
I was listening to an interview that Barbara Walters did with Farrah Faucett in 1980. They were talking about why she left Charlie's Angles after one season and she said that it was because she needs constant intellectual stimulation or else she is bored. This is what I'm talking about. I would be shocked if anyone could find a similar quote from Chistopher Langan or Albert Einstein. But this kinda crap comes out of Hollywood all the time and people just agree and nod. Natalie Portman is fluent in three languages and has a degree from Harvard and you never hear her blabbing about it.
But back to Michael. I liked him. I liked him a lot. I liked him all through the 90's when is wasn't cool to like him. I feel bad for him because he had crappy parents (a crappy childhood that he would never shut up about) and he was surrounded by people who constantly told him what a genius he was. But as a parents and a highly judgemental human, I don't think he was innocent of all those accusations. Celebrity yes, Innocent no.

Still, I'm going to have a blast putting together my MJ tribute playlist for Spinning tomorrow.

1 comment:

ForteFamily said...

I miss your awesome spin mixes!!!!