Friday, March 6, 2009

Microcosm Part Dos




On the other hand, I feel like Walmart is everything that's bad about America.

What's the deal? It's dirty, it's crowded, there's only one "L" in the  word. I don't get it.

There is never anyone to help me, and when I can actually find someone working there, I get the very distinct impression that they don't value my time as much as I would like them to.

No one speaks the English, not the shoppers, not the employees. And they like to get into shopping cart aisle stand offs. Tip: I go right, you go left or I start to get irrational and scream something that doesn't make sense like, "STOP GOING TO THE ER FOR A COMMON COLD!" Or something totally incoherent like that.

The plus size clothing section is so big that it is starting to take over the entire store. I can't even buy a diet coke without seeing a pair of XXXXL something or other strewn among the sodas.  


But wait.

I ran out of fuel so I just googled the words "Walmart sucks," expecting to find something really funny about how crappy Walmart is. And you know what I found? With this post I've just put myself into a category of total weirdos. 

I don't want to have the same opinions as this guy, or this guy, and definitely not this guy.

All of these people hate Walmart for the same reasons that I love America; sprawl, jobs, low prices, and capitalism. I feel like I'm stuck in between a rock and a hard place. I trust your opinions, what do you think of the place? I think I'll have to put on my mom jeans and go to Walmart to do some soul searching. 


9 comments:

Cara said...

I am not a fan of Walmart, I try to avoid it at all costs.

Nathan & Michelle Watabe said...

I think it totally depends on the Wal-Mart. We went to three today (Nate's obsessed with good deals and was on the hunt for clearance legos). Some are definitely nicer than others. One of them had stone on the outside instead of brick. Very nice. I've been to the Fair Oaks Wal-Mart many times, if that's the one you speak of. Yes, it sucks. Personally, I love Wal-Mart, because I know I'm getting the best price. And at our's the people are very nice and kindly walk you all the way to whatever it is you're looking for. Ours is also a Super Wal-Mart, which is amazing as far as shopping with kids is concerned because we can fill almost all of our needs in one stop.

Melissa said...

I hate walmart for all the same reasons. I'll pay the extra money for Target anyday. I've often thought (when I used to shop there) that if I acted like I was shop lifting then maybe someone might come to "help" me. There customer service sucks!

Camilla said...

Jordan got kicked out of Walmart once, but he still likes it. I hate walmart every time I go there that little voice inside of me says "get out now!"

Betsy Young said...

The smell (imported plastic, sugar and an occasional whiff of a McDonald's cheeseburger) of every Wal-Mart is enough to keep me out.

Sarah said...

Funny...my sentiments exactly about Wal Mart. Everytime I go I regret it. And, I've done some price comparing...Target is only pennies more expensive..but for a cleaner, brighter, better place!

The Watkins said...

That's easy. If you want to save money shop at Walmart, but it's not because their prices are lower. I could go into Target for one small thing and $12.99 pair of shoes, $10 worth of stuff from the dollar bin, $9.99 dress, and $3.99 in plastic colored cups and my one item I came for and I'm outta there. I usually go to Walmart for the same one thing and either leave empty handed because it's out of stock or frustrated because it took so long to find, that I don't have time to get the other things I would have. It's definitely cheaper to shop at Walmart.

Anonymous said...

Haha i had a Wal-mart story just last week. I was makin some pizzas and i go to the guy who is stocking the vegetable section and i go, "hey do you guys have any basil?" and he just looked at me and in a Spanish accent said "any Basil?" as if i asked him the distance to the moon. i was about to describe it to him, but i knew it was helpless. lol
~T-DIZZLE LANG~SIZZLE~

alexandra said...

How embarrassing. Ever since having my second kid, I pretty much only shop at at Wal-Mart, Target, Costco, and the grocery store (which is currently Wegmans).

I probably frequent the Fair Oaks Wal-Mart at least a couple of times a month. One time, one of the store employees asked me where Zane was (back when he was in preschool).

And I actually stopped shopping at Costco for a couple of years because it bugged me to see so many fat people buying such large quantities of food that they shouldn't be eating in the first place. Of course, I recently caved in and went back - and bought an executive membership.

I feel like such a loser now. Thanks.