Thursday, February 5, 2009

Early Childhood Intervention

If you aren't familiar with that term, well then you are missing out.

ECI supports families to help their children reach their potential through developmental services. Services are provided by a variety of local agencies and organizations. 

TRANSLATION: If the government decides that  your kid is behind or hasn't yet hit some sort of developmental milestone. Your government has to pay lots of money to help them get caught up.

CASE IN POINT: My baby totally can't crawl. She has some sort of freak flexibility. Instead of crawling, she gets in the splits, and moves herself around with her hands. I'd put up a video, but it'd creep you out. I thought about selling her to the Chinese because they put a prr-etty high price on underaged girls who would be great at gymnastics. 
   But then I heard about Early Childhood Intervention. So I called them up. A week later a physical therapist, a child psychologist, and a social worker show up at my door ready to give Sloane an extensive evaluation. After two and a half hours, they concluded that she was indeed three months behind in her gross motor skills and would qualify for services. So little Sloane-ie gets an in home physical therapist twice a month until, well, I don't know how long. 
   Now I know that social workers will make home visits for free, (boy do I know that) But does anyone know what the going rate is for a physical therapist or psychologist to make a house call? Seriously I'd like to know.

2 comments:

MandoRama said...

I want to see the video. E-mail me.

Camilla said...

it costs about 6,000.